The dictionary online contains 809 numistmatic terms in four different languages. If you are not sure what to search or your search results seem too fuzzy, try the index.
Show/hide search possibilities
The query function of the coins online takes full advantage of the SQLite Fulltext Search. Therefore, a lot of search combinations and truncations can be used. As the fulltext is stored in just one large container field, the search with field prefixes is not possible. To query one specific field, the index is the way to go. Matching search terms are highlighted in all fields. Here some simple query examples:
- Both search terms must be present together in a data set:
Entire words: muttenz gallienus
Entire words: +muttenz +gallienus
Truncated words: mut* gall*
Truncated words: +mut* +gall*
- The first search term must, the second search term must not be present in a data set:
Entire words: +muttenz -gallienus
Truncated words: +mut* -gall*
- The search terms must be present in a data set in the exact order. With this type of search, the use of operators (+, -, AND, OR, NOT) or prefixes is not possible. Nevertheless it is possible to use the asterisk (*):
Entire words: "wilhelm vischer" "emil frey"
Truncated words: "wi* vi*" "em* fr*"
- At least one of the two search terms must be present in a data set:
Entire words: jegenstorf OR cademario
Truncated words: jeg* OR cade*
- The search terms must be present together in a data set. But each word must only be present in the indicated field:
Entire words: municipality:jegenstorf denomination:viertelstater
Truncated words: municipality:jegen* denomination:viertel*
- The first search term must only be present in the indicated field. But in the same data set the second search term must not be present in the indicated field:
Entire words: municipality:+basel denomination:-stater
Truncated words: municipality:+bas* denomination:-stat*
- At least one of the two search terms must be present in the indicated field:
Entire words: municipality:jegenstorf OR denomination:cademario
Truncated words: municipality:jegen* OR denomination:cade*
- The first search term must must be within 20 words from the second search term in the same field:
Entire words: münze NEAR/20 mauer
Truncated words: mün* NEAR/20 ma*
Information about the «Dictionary online»
With the publication of FREY und SCOTT CARLTON as foundation the SICF has built a database in four languages (german – french – italian – english) concerning numistmatic terms, that can be searched online. At the moment, the database contains around 800 terms and is meant to be enhanced furthermore. We are happy for notes about missing terms, if possible already translated in one or more languages.
The terms have been taken from the following publications:
- A. R. FREY, Dictionary of Numismatic Names with Glossary of Numismatic Terms in English, French, German, Italian, Swedish by Mark M. Salton (1973)
- R. SCOTT CARLTON, The International Encyclopaedic Dictionary of Numismatics (1996)
The databases of the SICF are open source and can be reused non-commercially. At the moment, the coins online, the archives online, the library online and the dictionary online are available. Please contact us for more information. Authorized persons can manage the online databases at the administration area.